7.01.2009

this day was so delicious.
when i woke up, it was to my alarm clock, but the sky was blue and the sun was bright and i got ready for work leisurely, ate a big bowl of porridge made with avalon whole milk for breakfast and it had dried cranberries in it and brown sugar and cinnamon and it was so warm out that when i left the house i didn't even have a scarf on. i got to the shop, though, and my boss wasn't there. which was strange. my boss is always at the shop. i looked at the cat and said, what's going on, kukka? and kukka looked at me and said, meowww! (love me!). eventually it came to my attention that the shop was closed for the holiday and no one thought to tell me. so i just put the peonies in the back fridge and loved the cat for a while and then went home, dropped off all my baggage, and set out on a big walk.
through the park, down to the sea, up to the cemetary.
in the park, i found, to my surprise, a giant albino peacock feather just lying there, it's pen end poking through the petting zoo fence, waiting for me. so i picked it up and waved it around in the wind. it received a lot of fuss from passers by. elderly women. a tiny dutch boy. as i traversed the flats at clover point, some man called down to me from the cliff.
you have a permit for that feather?
pardon?
do you have a permit? for that feather?
i didn't know i needed a permit, i said, smirking.
o, well, come up here and i'll give you one, he said, smirking.
i don't know, i said. sounds a little fishy to me...
did you eat that peacock for breakfast? with your eggs?
no no no. the peacock ate me. i'm just a figment of your imagination.
you walked here all the way from the zoo?
o, sure. i'll walk all the way back, too.
wild thing!
o, sure.
where are you headed?
i don't know, i said. i don't know.
around the back of clover point, a heron flew right over my head.
two crows followed me through the cemetary. KAH KAH KAH KAH
the back of my neck was burnt by the time i got home, because i didn't wear a scarf, so i put on some aloe and went to bean for lunch, seeking shade, seeking cavern. i almost finished journey to ixtlan but was overcome. so i came home, again, konked out in my cat basket with all my clothes on, for two hours. my favorite naps are the ones i take in the middle of the day, in the middle of the summer. the ones i wake up from sweating profusely under all my blankets.
i walked to yoga in a pair of boxer shorts and because of the holiday there were only five people there for the class. all women. small. lovely. misha asked each of us, at the beginning, do you want anything? i looked up at her from a supine twist and asked her, will you chant for us?
will i chant for you? she said. of course i will chant for you.
and now that i'm home, having been to the market, having acquired some new mantras, having traipsed all over this town on my little cat paws, i am having a quiet time. i will eat steamed spinach for dinner. with an orange, for iron absorption. i will finish journey to ixtlan. i will drink hot chocolate, maybe, made with avalon whole milk. and then i will slip into a coma, rose quartz at my heart centre.

happy birthday, country.
(gobinda gobinda hari hari)

No comments: